Monday, June 18, 2012

Driveway Dice Roll Board Game


It’s summer. What are we doing inside, right?!? This little activity takes our math lesson outdoors. Put on the sunscreen and get ready for some subtraction and addition fun!

Prep
Take an empty cube-shaped tissue box and cover it with posterboard. Attach dot label stickers to the sides to mimic a die (I had some left over from our Noun Clown activity). Don't have dot stickers? Color some dots with a magic marker! Now cover the box with clear household contact paper for added durability and to keep the die somewhat clean.


Draw a game board on your driveway with sidewalk chalk. Mark the start and finish clearly. For older kids, make lots of spaces (ours had 47); for younger kids with shorter attention spans or early addition/subtraction skills, keep the board shorter.


Add small numbers in one corner of each space. Then, at random, add “-3, +4, -6, +2,” etc. in some of the board's spaces.

Now you’re ready to play.

How to Play
Players stand at the start and roll the die. Whatever number is on top when the die lands, is the number of spaces the player moves. In the player lands on a space with a plus or minus, they must move the number of spaces noted (i.e. if a player rolls a six, moves six space, and the sixth space says “-2,” they must move back two spaces).

The player can only move forward or backward once per roll. In other words, in the example above, if the player moved back two and that space read “+4,” they would not move again.


As the player moves they should speak the problem created out loud before or as they’re moving. So if a player is on space 14 and they roll a six, they should say, “14 + 6 = 20.”

Players take turns rolling the die and moving forward and backwards on the driveway game board (it helps if you have a person willing to fetch the die for players; little brother LOVED doing this!).


The first player to the finish wins!


21 comments:

  1. Such a fun idea! Will have to try this out! Also I am having a Summer Fun Party and would love for you to link this up!
    http://www.blissfulanddomestic.com/2012/06/summer-fun-party-16-blogs-1-awesome.html

    Danielle @ Blissful and Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea!!

    Thanks for sharing this on Hey Mom, Look What I Did at Adventures In Mommy Land! Hope to see you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun!!!!!!

    Guess what! I nominated you for the Sunshine Award! Stop by when you get the chance, to check it out! :-)
    http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. See so many options for this idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great open ended idea! Now if we ever get some sunshine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's make a deal, Gabrielle. You send us some rain, and I'll send you some sunshine. Our poor grass is brown and if I don't water my potted flowers and the garden, both will quickly turn crispy and die. :(

      Delete
  6. Great idea. I love taking a game outside to make it more active and fun. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! (And your cute dice.) My kids will love it. Going to pin it and share on Facebook too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing it, Kristen, and for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  8. Awesome math game! Especially great for kids who are very active and need to move a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this idea! How fun (and deceptively educational:). Thank you for all the amazing ideas you share by linking up to Show and Tell on ABC each week. I am always anxious to see what you will share. You are too clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome! I'm a huge fan of chalk games, and this is my new favorite. I'm going to play this with my boys (on a smaller level for their age.) Thanks for sharing with The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this idea!! And using a tissue box for the die--brilliant!! We'll definitely be using this--thanks for sharing it at Teach Me Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH, how fun!! Such a great activity for the nice weather! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing with us at our Pinteresting Party. Hope you will come back and share again this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant, what a great idea, if only I had to worry about sunscreen at the moment more like flippers & a snorkel! Thanks so much for adding this to the outdoor play link up this week, Kierna

    ReplyDelete
  15. BRILLIANT! Can I come over to play? This is just too fun! Thanks for sharing on the Sunday Showcase! I have pinned this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun game to play outside the house!! I love that it is educational too. Perfect!! Thanks so much for linking up to the Summer Fun Party! I am featuring your game on my blog today! Come check it out!!

    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-fun-party-features.html
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great ideas! These will be exceptionally easy to set up for my little ones with the new driveway pavers we just had installed. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. BRILLIANT! Thanks! I`ll show our "Driveway Dice Roll Board Game"

    ReplyDelete