Friday, January 20, 2012

Eagles: Lesson and Snack


My husband and I read to our two sons every night at bedtime. The latest chapter book I have been reading to my oldest son is SUCH a charming book, I thought I’d share it.


Rylant’s book, The Eagle, is fantasy at its best. Three mice children are adopted by a seafaring male dog and female cat who call a lighthouse home. Two of the mice children learn to use a compass so they can explore the forest. When they lose the compass, an eagle comes to the rescue. My son truly enjoyed this story, probably because large birds have fascinated him for months.

After our yarn and paste bird’s nest was made, I figured we needed a bird to put in it – why not make an eagle?!?

I remembered seeing Always Learning’s amazing bald eagle snack and since I had leftover coconut from when we made cookies and did our baking math activity, the timing was perfect!

What you need:
Coconut
White chocolate chips
Miniature chocolate chips
Toothpick
Cashews
Chocolate snack cookies
Jumbo Marshmallows

Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave stirring every 30-60 seconds. When melted, spread the white chocolate over the sides and top of the jumbo marshmallow (do not cover the bottom). 

Roll the marshmallow through coconut. 


Add a dollop of white chocolate onto a chocolate snack cookie and place the bottom of the jumbo marshmallow on top of it.

Take a cashew and poke it into the marshmallow to make the eagle’s beak. 

Then poke holes in the coconut-covered marshmallow with the toothpick where the eyes belong. 


Stick the miniature chocolate chips, point-side in, into the holes you poked for eyes.

Cute, huh?



16 comments:

  1. I pinned this, so I don't forget about it! Awesome activity and the chapt. book looks great. Have you shown your boys an eagle cam? My girls enjoyed watching baby eagles in their nest. I can't remember which one, but here is a link to Eagle cams if you need it. http://www.eaglenestcams.com/
    Also, the blog Brimful Curiosities has a lot of ideas for eagle lessons. http://www.brimfulcuriosities.com/2011/05/bald-eagle-projects-activities-and.html

    Have a great day- I enjoyed your post and sharing ideas!

    Jen from
    Creative and Curious Kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jen! Last winter/spring, we watched the Decorah Eagles (part of the Raptor Resource Project) on UStream. It was AMAZING!!! Even my toddler was mesmerized! Thanks for the tip; I'll stop by Brimful Curiosities soon!

      Delete
    2. I think that is the one that we watched. I'm new to your blog. Glad to be here. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you're following, Jen, and hope you find lots of inspiration here! :)

      Delete
  2. That is a really cute snack!
    The Decorah Eagles webcam is a great educational tool. We are looking forward to watching them again this year. After reading your post I just checked on the webcam page. I didn't realize that the banded juvenile from last year's hatch was back in the Decorah area. Very interesting. Thanks, Jen, for mentioning my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are very cute! I hadn't heard of that book, but I like the other Cynthia Rylant books I've read so far, so I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute snack! I pinned it to use during E week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute. Eagles are very fascinating! That book is on my list as the next Read-Aloud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! I love Cynthia Rylant. I will have to loo for this book.

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you at TGIF.I'd like to invite you to share this post with our readers for Fun Stuff Fridays. http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute snack! My 5yr old LOVES Bald Eagles so this is right up his alley. I'll have to see if I can get that book at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to EAT THIS! So adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great snack! Thank you for sharing it at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these are too cute! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great week,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How adorable!!! Thanks for sharing at Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete