Friday, March 9, 2012

Race Around the Nouns, Verbs, & Adjectives [Game]


I’m hoping repetition will help my son memorize the differences between nouns, verbs, and adjectives. The board game I cooked up to practice these parts of speech was SO much fun, my son didn’t have a clue he was actually learning!!  (insert evil laugh here)

Before we started playing, I gave him a cheat sheet that defined what nouns, verbs, and adjectives are. Click the picture below to download it.


We reviewed these briefly and grabbed two small buttons for game pieces. Then, I grabbed my DIY dry-erase die (instructions to make one are here) and wrote each word (noun, verb, and adjective) on the dice twice with a fine-tip dry-erase marker.

Now it was time to get our engines revved up and get rolling! My son was ready to race around the nouns, verbs, and adjectives on the homemade game board I made. (Download it here.)

How to Play
This game is super simple. Both players put their game pieces on the starting flag. The youngest player goes first, rolling the noun/verb/adjective die. Whatever is on top of the die when it stops rolling, is the type of word that the player must move their game piece to on the board. The next player rolls next, doing the same thing.


Play continues until the players reach the winner’s trophy. The first player to roll the die and move to the final circle (i.e. roll “adjective” and land on “big”) wins!


My son needed LOTS of reminders and referred to the cheat sheet a lot, which tells me this fun way to practice is exactly what he needs. When we were done, my son asked to play again … and again. Unfortunately, dinner put a stop to our “play” time. There's always tomorrow, though!

23 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful game! Thanks so much for sharing your talents with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I was having trouble helping my step-daughter understand adjectives. I'm going to try this! Thanks for sharing:D

    Maysem @ odetoinspiration.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Passing this on to a friend of mine! You have lots of great ideas here!
    Found you through Here's to Handy Andy - would love to have you stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous activity! I've downloaded it to do with Little J. Thanks for sharing at AfterSchool.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!!! Your board looks so professional, too!

    Thanks for sharing with Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! I LOVE your work-- thanks so much for sharing! I love sneaking in learning new things with games : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea!!! I am really liking your blog! I'm a new follower (I found you through Tutus & Tea Parties).

    Please feel free to peek at my new blog at http://earning-my-cape.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a GREAT idea!! I'm SUPER excited to play with my son!! I featured this at TGIF this week: http://www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2012/03/tgif-linky-party-21.html - Come stop by and link up what you've been doing this week. Thanks for sharing your creativity with all of us & Have a GREAT weekend!
    Beth =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Beth, and especially for highlighting it in your linky party! (What an honor!) Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

      Delete
    2. This looks like a WONDERFUL GAME!!I'm going to try it myself!Have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!

      Delete
  10. OMG, thank you , thank you, my son came home with verbs, adjective and nouns, I thought the definition they gave was awful, will be working on this tonight for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found a fun way to reinforce what your son is learning in school! I hope you'll find lots of other useful ideas here. Stop back often!

      Delete
  11. I tutor kids at a local elementary school and stumbled across your blog via pinterest. You are amazing! This is one of the best lists of activities I have ever seen. I am so thankful to be using your resources. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a first year teacher and just found your blog. All I can say is THANK YOU! Thank you for putting in so much work to help others improve their teaching. Your blog is fantastic and I will be visiting this blog weekly getting ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'm so glad you've found some useful ideas here. I do my best to post new deceptively educational activities every Monday and Thursday morning (usually before 8 a.m. central time). Stop back, follow me on Pinterest, or like my Facebook page!

      Delete
  13. This is an awesome game! Would you mind me asking how you made this? I would love to use this with my students but they are at a very low reading level, so I would love to change the words so they are easily decodable. This is a great way to review parts of speech!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly, I used Microsoft Publisher to design the game board. To adapt it, buy some dot stickers (like for garage sale pricing) and affix them over the circles. Then write new words on each sticker. Good luck!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing the download! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this. thank you for sharing. I want to post this on my blog and link it to here. I know my daughter will enjoy this and learn. love it
    I am HomeschoolingMamacita.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice and interesting for young learners. But how can I get the adj+noun+verb dice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google and print a cube template from the Internet. Print on cardstock, cut out, write the labels on it, fold, and glue. Voila!

      Delete