Monday, January 16, 2012

Scrambled Schedule [Active Time-Telling Practice]


Sometimes one idea leads to another. In the process of trying to dream up a game that works on half-past, quarter-to, and quarter-after time telling, this little activity was born. It got my son out of his seat and gave him some extra practice drawing the hands on our Complete-A-Clock.

First, I made 12 cards with a variety of times from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Download them here (page 3 of the PDF contains 8 blank cards).

Under each time was a specific activity (e.g. do 5 jumping jacks, write your name, give a high-five, etc.). I printed the cards and scrambled them up.


I reminded my son what a schedule was. Like the routine he follows at school, it was a sequence of events that are completed at certain times. I told him that we needed to unscramble a schedule and complete the activities on it.

Then I gave my son a dry-erase marker and our laminated blank clock. I told him that the first time was 8:30 a.m. After he found that card, he drew a long and short hand on the clock to display it, and then did the activity on the card.

Now it was time to find what time and activity came next in the schedule.


My son needed a little help at first but caught on after the first three times and had a blast drawing the hands on the clock and doing each activity. See for yourself:


15 comments:

  1. Wow - this is great! I'm going to share the link with my fb followers. Some of them were looking for resources for telling time!

    Denise
    Sunny Days In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity! I think my 5yo would LOVE this! Thanks for sharing on Learning Laboratory at Mama Smiles =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haah! love the "dance" one! Your son is adorable and so lucky to have such a great mom like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome idea for time telling. I need to try it here too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea! I am printing this set for our daughter to use this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha love the dancing picture! What a great activity! Pinned this and can't wait to give it a try with my first grader. Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is....AMAZING. this would be awesome for some of the kids I work with with learning disabilities too...following directions and sequencing. Pinning! Thanks for sharing more creative ideas at Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to work on time! I can pick out your posts on any blog hop - they are always so well done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! I will definitely be doing this with my oldest soon. You do such an amazing job coming up with fun ideas. Thanks for linking up at {free} Printables Linky Party {Free} Printables Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teaching time is such a hard concept- fantastic job! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  11. This site is very good, I have a blog too, in Portuguese, I'm still starting. It has everything a little bit
    www.criandomeninos.blogspot.com

    Esse site é jóia, muito bom, eu tenho o meu também, em português, ainda esto começando.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Telling Time activities are awesome! Thanks for being so generous to share your printables. So glad I stumbled across your blog through Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this, I can't wait to use this! Cute idea, I think my kids will like it:)

    ReplyDelete