Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Adding Fractions Tic-Tac-Toe {free printable}


Tic-tac-toe is a favorite of my oldest son's. We have passed many minutes playing the age-old game on children's menus at restaurants while we waited for our food.

To add a little math practice in, I made four tic-tac-toe game boards with fraction addition problems. To start, these boards only have problems with like denominators that only add up to 1 or less.

Download the boards I made for free from Google Drive here. There's a blank page of boards too so you can write in your own problems!


Prep
I printed the boards on cardstock and then slipped them (front and back) inside a plastic sheet protector. I trimmed it down and grabbed two different colors of dry-erase markers. 

No sheet protectors? No problem. You can also laminate the cards or place a clear plastic report cover over the pages so the dry-erase marker wipes clean and you can reuse them again and again.

Play
This game of tic-tac-toe has no Xs or Os. Instead players select their space on the board, solve the fraction addition problem and mark the spot with the answer in their colored dry-erase ink.




Play alternates between players until either the board is filled or one player gets three problems completed in a row (horizontally, vertically, or diagonally).

3 comments:

  1. Excellent Idea! Thank you for sharing love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut these down before laminating to save on toner, paper and laminating sheets. I will eventually use the blank page for fraction pies (cut them out from clipart sources), fraction subtract problems and improper fraction problems all of which I'll paste on before laminating. They're terrific, thank you so much, I printed them and used them the same day.

    ReplyDelete