Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Spelling Practice Balloon Pop


The typical approach to practicing spelling words is to recite them and have your child write them. This activity does those two things but in a slightly more exciting way.

WARNING! Do not conduct this activity if:
  1. Loud noises bother you, your child, pets, or others in the vicinity.
  2. You or your child is allergic to latex.
  3. Or you are not full of hot air.

The supply list is simple: light-colored latex balloons, several small pieces of paper (one for each spelling word), a safety pin, a black permanent marker, and some small candies like Smarties or Spree (optional).

Prep
I wrote each of my son’s eight spelling words on a small slip of paper, folded it up tiny, shoved each into a balloon, and blew them all up. IMPORTANT: Remember to number your balloons so that you know which words are inside.


Practice
Give your child the marker and ask him/her to find the balloon labeled with a number 1. Say the spelling word and ask them to write it on the outside of the balloon. Check their spelling. Then hand them the safety pin (remind them to be careful, it’s sharp!). BANG! Pop the balloon. The slip of paper inside will come flinging out. Ask your child to open it and spell the word aloud. Did they spell it right? If so, they’ve earned a sweet treat!


My son loved this, which made the light-headed feeling I got blowing up the balloons and the deafening noise of him popping them entirely worth it!

8 comments:

  1. How fun! We will have to give this a try!
    Holly
    www.joyofkindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I'm going to do it with my son, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... I don't think I can do this activity because I can't follow rule #3. :-) Great spelling practice idea! I will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I'll have to remember it for when my kids are older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you are having an amazing week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea. I will definitely be trying this. Here from ABC/123. www.theunlikelyhomeschool.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea and so adaptable. I will be adding this to our summer treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just spent several minutes jumping from one awesome idea on your blog to another! What a fun way to excite your son about learning. Thank you very much for sharing all of your tricks and treats! :)

    ReplyDelete