Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Fall Leaves BINGO


We love a good BINGO game and with the temps dropping, leaves will soon be falling as well. To mix a little natural science lesson in with our play, I made a game that is perfect for autumn (which will be here before we know it).


What You Need
Paper
Game pieces such as buttons, coins, bottle caps, acorns, etc. (We used poker chips.)
10-page PDF (download it free from Google Drive here)
Paper cutter/scissors

The game I made contains 10 different types of tree leaves randomly arranged on six game cards. There are four pages of call cards that need to be cut apart and shuffled before play begins.



How to Play
The game is played like a traditional BINGO game. Players put a game piece on the FREE space and then on all spaces called as the cards are flipped over one by one. The first player with five in a row (vertical, horizontal or diagonal) wins!



For an alternative way to play, try black-out and see which player covers every space on their card first.

Books to Pair with the Game
We read some great fiction and non-fiction after playing a few rounds. Here are our picks.



Our 9-year-old son read Ellen Rene's science detectives book that described why the leaves change color. The book really expanded his vocabulary, explaining terms like photosynthesis and chlorophyll.

I read Leaves Fall Down to our 5-year-old. This fiction book provides a basic explanation of why the leaves turn. It was perfect for introducing the science concept to my little guy, without being too detailed or advanced.

Lastly, we all read Lucky Leaf. The book begins with a boy whose mother makes him abandon his video game to play outside. It felt like a page right out of my own playbook. There's no science in this book; it's pure whimsy. Both boys enjoyed it.

5 comments:

  1. I love this BINGO - educational in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew!!! I was starting to believe I was never gonna be able to teach my child about the different types of LEAVES out there!!! So many grateful thanks to you for creating this not only as a game my child LOVES, but as an educationally FUN tool to teach my youngster about different leaf nepames! ...to think, all the printables I have downloaded, none with titles of leaves and even some without the correct leaves named ? To find you all in one package THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! These cards are wonderful, and will be the perfect addition to my son's fall classroom celebration. Thanks for sharing your time and talents with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You I needed a game for my Sunday school kids, we are having our harvest celebration and this totally goes with our theme, they will have fun and learn new things.

    ReplyDelete