Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY Xylophone out of Wrenches


If you've been following my blog, you know how much my boys love DIY instruments. They are the most requested activities by my oldest son. So when I saw this DIY xylophone by Caroline at De tout et de rien, it was just a matter of time before we tackled the project.

Supplies
Wrenches. You'll need a set of wrenches. Most sets come with 10, but you'll only need nine. Give the biggest wrench to someone you know that's handy. I bought a set for $20 and while that's WAY more than I ever pay for our educational activities, I knew this would get loads of use and when the boys grew tired of it, would be deconstructed and find a home in my husband's tool box. To lower the price, purchase a smaller set and make a miniature version.

Pipe insulation tubing. This stuff is like a skinny pool noodle but is already scored down the middle on one side.

Twine. Strong string works great.


Instructions

  1. Open the tubing where it is scored.
  2. Fold the tube in half and cut.
  3. Insert eight wrenches in one length of the foam tube, in order from smallest to biggest. Set the smallest wrench aside.
  4. Grab a long length of twine. Tie it in a knot around one end of the tubing, and then lace it in and out, around each of the wrenches, pulling tightly to secure them in place. 
  5. Tie another knot around the tubing after the last wrench.
  6. Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 with the other length of tubing.
  7. Use the tiny wrench you set aside as a mallet. Strike the metal wrenches and make sweet music!



Our boys have both had a blast with this. And I find it utterly charming that at completely random points in the day, I can hear the sweet chiming sounds it makes emanating from their rooms!

6 comments:

  1. You are just so darn CREATIVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, fun!! I agree with the post above - soo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful.

    Sql dba Online Training

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly have the best ideas, we will have to try this out. I just discovered how many other DIY instruments you've written about. I think we're going to be having a little Music camp using your tips for instruments next week. I've featured your post and a few other links of yours in my post this week for our After School Link UP! Thank you for being so creative! http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2013/07/music-ideas-for-summer-fun-after-school.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, how do you come up with these awesome ideas! LOVE it! I G+, pinned, buffered, and stumbled it =)

    I also featured this at TGIF this week (http://www.123homeschool4me.com/2013/08/tgif-linky-party-87.html), pinned, and stumbled it!

    Thanks for sharing your creativity with the rest of us! I hope you'll pop over and link up again today!

    Have a GREAT weekend,
    Beth =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I'm really happy that you loved my wrench xylophone :) My daughter absolutely was in love with it. Thank you very much to linking to my post :)

    ReplyDelete