Friday, September 23, 2016

Skip Counting Connect-the-Dots Letter Puzzles


My 1st grader came home from school the first week and was distraught that he'd had trouble skip counting by 2s. "Can we practice, Mom?" Um ... yeah!

Since his teacher is also sending home short lists of consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) spelling words, I thought I'd combine the two skills.


I made connect-the-dot pages that when finished form the letters of the alphabet (capital letters only at this point). 

Download the 13-page PDF for free from Google Drive here.


I grabbed the spelling list and printed the pages with the letters I needed, cut them apart, labeled them 1-3 so he'd know the order of the letters, snipped the corner of each page (so he wouldn't know which letter he was working on), and told him to start with the star and count by 2s.


He was amused and truly enjoyed the discovery aspect of this activity. First, it was fun to see what letter he made. Then it was fun to see what word the three letters formed (e.g. web, hen, pet, pen, etc.).

4 comments:

  1. Awesome puzzle, wanna solve it and need this for my android :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had to comment...what a brilliant combination. I just found your website and I'll definitely be coming here for ideas and inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete